ANTHOLOGY?

DONIEL WOLFE

I admit, I wasn’t always listening during the writers’ retreat. I was writing and sometimes could not stop to hear what was being said. Now, I’m in trouble and in serious danger of being outed as a non-listener because I don’t know what the heck is expected in this “anthology.” That is to say, I know what an anthology is, I just don’t know how it applies to my participation in AWP… so I Googled it…

an·thol·o·gy
anˈTHäləjē/
noun
1. a published collection of poems or other pieces of writing.

So, is it already done? Was it the compilation of writings already written and posted? Do I need to do another one OR compile all that has been done and combine it into one blog post? HELP! Is it sufficient to summarize my experience with writing during the retreat and how I feel it benefitted me as a writer and/or teacher? OR “all of the above?”

This experience was beneficial in a number of ways. I really appreciated being forced to create a blog. It was far less intimidating than I imagined. I was especially grateful for the discussion about poetry. I enjoy writing poetry, but I can never tell whether it is interesting or good to anyone besides me. It is a personal experience after all, so at some level, I need to be mindful that it doesn’t matter if it speaks to others, but only that it speaks to me…though ideally it would be nice if it did both.

I also appreciated the presentation given by the professor from UAA. While I am naturally curious, like most people in the education profession, conducting research and contributing meaningfully to the profession is not quite a personal strength. After her presentation, I was less sure that I hated research and professional writing.

I am grateful for the opportunity to participate in this writers’ retreat. With Saturday’s workshop running late into the evening, it was easy to justify a hotel room, ending the long day in big soft bed. It is nigh impossible to carve time out of my demanding schedule for activities that are both professionally and personally beneficial. I am so glad I did!

Thank you all for a much needed dose of inspiration!

MY PEN

DONIEL WOLFE

Therapist.
Friend.
Voice.
Mask.
Accomplice.